Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Meet Kristin Jakob, Botanical Artist

http://www.kristinjakob.com/I had the pleasure of meeting Kristin Jakob one day at Trove. She was excited to show us her collection of botanical drawings and very happy to answer a few of my questions.

What led you to botanical art?
I had been drawing since I was old enough to grip a tool, but up until the age of 12, my favorite subjects were animals. At the age of 12, a close neighbor introduced me to the great wide world of plants, and my family joined the then young California Native Plant Society.

Why do you include the scientific names on your drawings?
Since my interest in plants is scientific as well as artistic, the scientific names are important as the only constant- the same plant can have numerous common names, even in one language, and several different plants can have the same name.

Where do you look for inspiration?
I look for inspiration in the natural world, as well as amongst garden plants and horticultural selections, though wild species were, and remain, my favorite subjects, an I hold California native plants particularly dear.

Here is a sample of her work. Come to Trove to view her collection in various sizes including greeting cards!


No comments: